Athletics in the 80’s – Part 1





Kilmore Free Press
Wednesday, 4 May 1983, page 8

Little Aths Told… Catch up with world thinking

An Australian gold medal winner has urged Little Athletics Centre members in the Kilmore district to “aim for the stars” in an attempt to raise the international standard at the sport.

Speaking at the highly successful annual presentation night of the Hume Little Athletics Centre, Garry Honey told the youngsters parents and friends of his rise through the Little Aths field to a place in the Australian team which completed at the Olympic Games in Moscow, and finally to winning a gold medal in the long jump at the Commonwealth Games in Brisbane last year.

He urge the children to remember Australia is one of the few countries to teach athletes to be good losers.

Endorsing a very positive outlook, he suggested Australia should catch up with world thinking, and children should be taught to be good winners, to reach for the stars, and bring athletics in Australia up to world standard.

Organisers were delighted that Garry Honey, former great Australian distance runner John Landy, and VFA umpires’ advisor Jim Chapman were able to be present to address the youngsters and to present trophies.

Mrs Fitzpatrick, the president of the Little Aths organisation, thanked the local committee for working hard to achieve a successful season.

She pointed out the youngsters had broken 55 records during the season.

Kilmore Shire President, Bob Macartney, declared the presentation time open after congratulating the children and organisers on their efforts.

He assured the gathering the J J Clancy Reserve at Kilmore would be available for Little Aths competition next season. This will give the organisers a “home” after being at Wandong and Assumption College grounds in the past two seasons.

Cr Macartney then presented several achievement awards to successful youngsters.

Compere Syd Bysouth introduced Jim Chapman, who presented the remaining achievement awards to children who competed during the season.

Special guest John Landy outlined the degree of dedication needed for an athlete to reach championship level.

He spoke of people who can inspire a young athlete, and of the need to train hard, and set high goals to be reached.

Mr Landy then presented special achievement awards to a boy and girl in each age group, and the two trophies to the most improved athletes overall – Sally Bradley and Tony Montgomery.

After Garry Honey emphasised the positive approach needed to raise the standard of athletics in Australia, he presented the first and runner-up trophies in each group.


Remembering Arthur Knights

Arthur Knights was born near Kilmore in 1896 to Henry James and Matilda Knights (nee Ward). Arthur attended Tantaraboo Public School. His name is recorded in his service documents and elsewhere as Knight.
When Arthur completed his AIF attestation form on August 9, 1915 in Melbourne he overstated his age as 21 years 7 months. He was allocated to the 13th Reinforcements, 5th Battalion and posted to camp at Williamstown as private 4228.
Arthur embarked on HMAT Demosthenes on December 29, 1915 bound for Egypt. On March 17 he was promoted to Lance Corporal. Two days later he was transferred to the newly formed 1st Pioneer Battalion.
Pioneer Battalions were formed to support the expansion of the AIF from the Middle East for service in the trenches along the Western Front. As well as being infantry, the men undertook small engineering tasks in the field such as digging trenches, tunneling, building bridges, and undertaking battlefield clearances.
In November 1916 Arthur was acting as Corporal and then promoted to Corporal in March 1917. During the Third Battle of Ypres Arthur was gassed on September 9, 1917. Then during the Battle of the Lys he received gunshot wounds to his left knee on April 24, 1918.
Transferred to England he was admitted to the Guildford War Hospital in Surrey in May then to the 3rd Auxiliary Hospital at Dartford, Kent in June. As part of his recovery Arthur undertook a Lewis Gun course at Tidworth, Wiltshire in August – qualified first class.
William rejoined his battalion in France in early November, where he remained carrying out the clearing of battle fields. Transferring to England Arthur embarked on HMAT Port Darwin on July 27, 1919 for Melbourne, where he was discharged on September 18, 1919.
Arthur was awarded the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, and his name is recorded on the Kilmore Shire Honour Roll, and the Tantaraboo State School Honour Roll. In January 1941 the Kilmore Free Press reported that Arthur had been elected as president of the Heathcote RSSILA (RSL). He died in 1963 at Northcote, Melbourne.

Open House 2019 a Success



KHS held its annual Open House recently. Five properties received visitors. All were different, ranging in size from a small cottage on Fitzroy Street to Assumption College, and covering the period from the 1850’s to the 1920’s. One property that Kilmore residents would not be so familiar with was Craigielea, which stands on the Northern Highway outside Kilmore and is not visible from the road. This Arts and Crafts building is reputed to have been built from the proceeds of a Melbourne Cup win. Its magnificent interior generated a great deal of interest.


KilmoreOpen House 2019

Open House Kilmore 2019oopen

Ranging from humble, beautifully restored cottages to large institutions, five of Kilmore’s most historic buildings are open to the public for one day.

Saturday 27 April 2019
10am – 4pm

We are thrilled this year to be able to include beautiful Assumption College, built in 1891.

Tickets can be purchased at the Old Courthouse, 4 Powlett Street from 9.45am

Call for Volunteers

Kilmore Historical Society is currently in the process of preparing to digitise our collection of various materials. These include our extensive clothing and textiles collection, our books, maps, microfilms, photographs, and physical objects.

We will need a lot of help from volunteers for the actual process of data entry. Every item will need to be photographed, described, and the information logged into an online system.

We are looking at using a web-based cataloging program which will allow access from any computer. Those who prefer to work from home will be able to log into the web site from their own computers. There will also be the possibility of coming into the KHS rooms and working from there.

If anyone is interested in participating please contact and let us know. At this point we have no firm starting date for the project.

The team assess and clean a wedding dress prior to cataloging