Dear members and visitors
Due to the changing government advice regarding COVID 19 the Committee of our Society decided to close our research rooms at the old Kilmore Courthouse from Monday 23 March 2020, for the foreseeable future.
We will be able to continue limited research service by email. But it may take longer to undertake the research.
Please keep safe and follow the government’s advice.
Kilmore Historical Society
The current pandemic of coronavirus has already caused the cancellation of a great many activities, and the Committee of Kilmore Historical Society has decided that we must unfortunately follow suit.
Therefore please note that:
– The April and May general meetings with guest speakers are CANCELLED.
– The Open House tour planned for April is CANCELLED.
As we have no meetings in winter, our next scheduled meeting is the AGM in September. We hope that conditions will have improved by September, but at this stage we are tentatively assuming it will go ahead. We will notify members if these plans change.
Many thanks to the reader who contributed background information on the cover of the latest Kilmore Connections. Unfortunately the person who did so left no identifying details.
The lady in the picture is Julia Kenny (1842-1920). The spinning jenny was made for her by her son Jack.
More information on the Kenny family can be found in the 1968 publication “A Brief History of Pyalong”. John Kenny, farmer, was born in County Clare, Ireland, in 1844 and and emigrated to Australia in 1866 with his mother and siblings. His other brothers, Michael and Patrick, were already at Pyalong. Julia was born Julia Mc Donald in County Wexford. She worked as a housekeeper at High Camp prior to marriage.
The married couple lived for some time on a hundred acre property at Glenaroua. They had seven children, who all attended the Glenaroua school. Mr Kenny was for 33 years a councillor of the Pyalong Shire.
Julia is buried in the Kilmore Catholic Cemetery.
Thank you to Rose King and Barbara Wilson, who conducted a special tour of Kilmore Cemetery to celebrate International Women’s Day, focusing on the lives of the women of Kilmore. This special event attracted 46 people, including 25 members. The women covered included Jane Copeland, who had been part of the original Sullivan’s Bay colony of 1803, and Margaret Still, who left a graphic account of the 1851 bushfires.
Our March meeting will be held at the Court House on Powlett Street on 3 March at 7:30 pm. The speaker will be Sue Race, who is currently CEO of the Kilmore Hospital and will be speaking on the past and future of the institution. She has been active in preserving the Hospital archives and we hope she can shed some new light on aspects of its history.
Sue Race, CEO Kilmore Hospital
Advanced notice – In recognition of International Women’s Day, the Kilmore Historical Society will be conducting a tour of the Kilmore Public Cemetery to celebrate the lives of the women of Kilmore over the past 179 years. The tour will take place on Sunday, 8 March 2020 commencing at 2.00 pm. Society members free and visitors $5 donation.
No bookings necessary, just turn up at the Cemetery on the Kilmore-Lancefield Road. The entrance is along the western side the Catholic Cemetery, directly opposite to the entrance to Kingsgate Village. Just drive along the driveway to plenty of parking. People attending should wear suitable clothing, sturdy shoes and a hat; bring some water. The Tour will probably take around one to two hours depending on how much discussion takes place. Email enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Judy Clarke donated this antique, which we think is most likely to be an outdoor cot. The framework is of wood and the side panels are of metal mesh, similar to that found in meat safes. There are three sections—the middle section can be removed to lower the interior space. There is a small puzzle in that it rolls freely on its wheels, but there are no handles to help in moving it. Our best guess it that it was designed to allow babies to enjoy the sun and fresh air while protecting them from flies and other pests.
We would be interest in hearing from anyone who remembers using—or being placed in—a similar type of cot. Or perhaps we’re on the wrong track and it was something else altogether ?